08 April 2008

Time

I just watched George's documentation of a new art exhibit at Somarts Cultural Center -
Painting Toward the End of Time: A Path to the Mayan Mysteries 2012
An Installation by Carlos Loarca - Exhibit: April 3rd - 24th, 2008 Main Gallery


Carlos is one of my favorite Artist's, and a very wise man. I could sit at his feet and listen for hours.

Here's a little nugget I transcribed from Carlos Loarca at his reception:

"The culture of the Indians, and I am not just talking about the Mayans, other cultures are very fascinating and full of wisdom and full of magic and full of little secrets ... and we don't have the time especially here in the States to pay attention to that. We are so practical that things are working so why disturb them. It's a shame because you can add a lot of fulfillment to your own life to simply relaxing and looking around."

Someone asked him where he finds the space to paint make paintings that big? (they are very large scale) Carlos answered, "You know, if you want to paint big, you find the space. You know in life, if you want to do something, you'll find, you'll be able to do it. It just depends on you. So what I'm trying to tell you is, if I don't have the space in here, I look for another space."

Some of us are too busy and really don't have the time. Others of us do have time, but are too busy in our minds to pay attention. I fall in the latter category. Busy mind. Yet, the sands keep falling through the hourglass and I wonder what am I not paying attention to?

No comments: