31 August 2009

Wings of Desire, a second time

Photo courtesy of my sister's vacation to Cancun
We had amazing weather for two days and then the fog and drizzle came back on Sunday and that party was over.

Today I learned of Connie's fun & inspiring creative blog from a link on The Dreaming Cafe's site.

Yesterday we watched the German film "Wings of Desire" again (I think I wrote something about this the first time I saw it) which is poetic film (with Bruno Ganz who I also liked in 'Bread and Tulips'). One of my favorite parts is where Peter Falk (playing himself) is standing outside and talks to an angel saying, "I know you're here, I can't see you but I know you're here." He proceeds to share a about some really basic things we humans take for granted like rubbing your hands together in the cold air, or a hot cup of coffee. Try it, rub your palms together and feel a little friction. Like taking a deep breath, it gets you out of your head for a minute and grounded physically in the present.

Some lines in that scene from Peter Falk:
"Here, to smoke, have coffee. And if you do it together it's fantastic. Or to draw: you know, you take a pencil and you make a dark line, then you make a light line and together it's a good line. Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. CompaƱero!"

Another scene shows a woman (who is a circus trapeze artist) in a nightclub dancing to a live band who happened to be Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - but sounded a lot like Joy Division to me at first.

The "feel" I get from this movie is a recipe of avant-garde, sepia, melancholy, eavesdropping on the thoughts people walk around with, all sprinkled with a little sadness. Combined with a mix of colors, feelings, and physical senses of touch. All this blended with poetic dialogue, observation, and into the living of life.

Apparently there is a sequel, "Faraway, So Close".

No comments: