01 February 2010

The Story of Stuff

Now it makes sense! Especially planned obsolescence which is when things constantly update and no longer work so you have to replace the whole thing (like computers); and perceived obsolescence when you just must have the latest, trendiest item (like fashion). There is a storage commercial we recently saw showing a house full of stuff and the solution they provide is that you don't have to get rid of it, you can put it in storage! Are they saying we fill our houses with so much stuff that we need a storage unit? Wow, that sounds like another problem.

I for one, was raised in this manufactured consumerism way and admit I do like to shop. It's a tough, ingrained habit to break. I am guilty of buying and purging though I do try to donate items as much as possible. George is really good at re-purposing items from furniture, to wood pieces, to bricks, etc. The more I learn, the more it motivates me to want to try and do what I can to become more part of the solution, however small. It all helps.

Check out this video when you have 20 minutes and you'll get an idea of what's really been going on. Annie Leonard spells it all out:


http://www.storyofstuff.com/

No comments: