14 June 2010

Italian Inspirations

(Photos from google image search)
This weekend I finished the book, That Summer in Sicily" by Marlena de Blasi.

Her writing is beautiful. When I read her stories, I wish I only could write that well. Her descriptions are so rich and vivid. She knows how to tell a good story. I've read four of her non-fiction books and recommend them all. Just recently her first novel was released in hardcover, "Amandine". I'll probably wait awhile to read that as I have a few too many lined up now.

So, after reading Marlena de Blasi's beautiful writing set in Italy, last night we happened to watch one of my favorite Italian movies, "Bread and Tulips". (I need to add that I was tired and not in the mood to read subtitles but George insisted we watch it... and he's usually right)
The main character is Rosalba Barletta (Licia Maglietta).
She's gorgeous and I love her style. Her pretty floral dresses, a cute green sweater, she schelps a big bag. In addition to the character Rosalba, and the charm of Venezia, the dialogue inspires me. I love the poetic words from another main character, Fernando Girasoli (Bruno Ganz). What a delight.

Synopsis from Amazon: Italy's magical fantasy of midlife crisis and rebirth in Venice, the city of lovers, swept the Italian film awards and charmed all of Europe. Director Silvio Soldini turns the tourist mecca of piazzas, canals, and stone bridges into a quaint little village out of time and fills the film with the charm of the city and the gentle quirks of his delightful cast. Licia Maglietta is winning as Rosalba, the frustrated and ignored middle-aged mom who impulsively takes a vacation from her family. She hitchhikes to Venice and falls for lonely, suicidal Icelandic waiter-poet Bruno Ganz (whose soulful, sad eyes recall his fallen angel from Wings of Desire), blossoming as she rediscovers her smile and joy for life. Sweetly sexy and beautifully shot, this story of second chances may not be original or surprising (think Shirley Valentine), but it's no less lovely or enchanting for it. --Sean Axmaker
Here is a Trailer:


Ciao!

No comments: