11 August 2008

Nature, a book, a movie, & toxic ratings

Saturday was dreary and drizzly. Sunday was promising with blue sky and warmer temps. We took a long nature walk in the park. New discoveries included a tiny periwinkle butterfly, flowers called “Queens Tears”, and hummingbirds in training! It was quite a show. We’d hear a sort of whistle peep sound and then a baby hummingbird would pop up out of the tree then fly high towards orbit. This happened about five times. We never saw anything like that before.

We watched the movie "Fanny and Alexander" by Ingmar Bergman. That was different too. At first it seemed a little slow but eventually plenty of drama ensued. "Fanny & Alexander" were cute kids, Fanny reminded me a little of my niece. (The boy that played Alexander, Bertil Guve, has the same birth date as me, though a few years younger!)

I read Sark’s new book “Juicy Pens Thirsty Paper" Gifting the World with Your Words and Stories and Creating the Time and Energy to Actually DO It
It's typical Sark fashion, colorful, cute, and inspiring. She shares stories and gives some exercises to do. I like this one.

On a different note, today I learned of a site: http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/ that is full of toxicity ratings in various products. Good Lord, you’d be surprised. Now I have to find some alternative items.
The score key is: 0-2 low hazard, 3-6 moderate hazard, 7-10 high hazard.
Now in addition to food, cookware, cleaning products, and other concerns regarding chemicals and safety, I need to check every beauty & hygiene item I use. I'm anticipating a number of product changes in store.

No comments: