19 March 2009

Fun


This is my longtime friend Simone, and her son Ocean during their visit last year. Simone and I met in High School. She was always daring, fun, and adventurous, and still is.

She was in a skiing accident during our senior year and in a coma for two weeks, which she obviously and thankfully survived. Ever since that, she tried to always appreciate the good things in life and surround herself with beauty. She lived in Hawaii for many years, later traveling around the South Pacific which eventually led her to New Zealand where she currently lives. I still think of her as a 'free spirit' who flies by the seat of her pants (although she is a responsible parent raising her son now).

I know how easy it is to get in the groove of auto-pilot while going to work and manning your daily responsibilities. My current commute book is 'The Career Clinic' which is based on a radio show of the same name. It's full of short personal stories of people who made dramatic career transitions. Many say that although they work hard, they love what they do, they have fun, and can't imagine doing anything else.

I can't say I've had much fun over the years at work. However; when you are working as an independent/freelancer, or start your own business, I tend to believe you are doing something you enjoy and are most likely good at. Is that accurate? I'm also aware that territory comes with it's own unique challenges. Maybe work can be fun when you find your right livelihood.

Once upon a time I started a calligraphy business for fun. Before the advent of Personal Computers as commonplace and fonts now unlimited, I had some jobs addressing wedding invitation envelopes. It was basically a hobby I turned into income for a short time. Every once in awhile I still enjoy dabbling with a calligraphy pen.

Regardless of work, life can certainly be fun. What are you doing for fun?

From Dictionary.com
Fun: –noun
1. something that provides mirth or amusement: A picnic would be fun.
2. enjoyment or playfulness: She's full of fun.
verb (used without object), verb (used with object)
3. Informal. joke; kid.
adjective
4. Informal. of or pertaining to fun, esp. to social fun: a fun thing to do; really a fun person.
5. Informal. whimsical: flamboyant: The fashions this year are definitely on the fun side.

More fun ~

No comments: