05 March 2009

Technology Gamut


(Photo of Cecil Hirvi)

This must be the week of questioning technology- related-postings, and I've read four good ones this week.

First: Samara wrote about Twitter & the social networking issue here, including this link.

Then: Adam wrote two recent posts on multi-tasking/technology/creativity.

Now: Alex just wrote about the frustrations and overwhelm of getting the same information via a few different sources, the constant access, the dilemma of removing someone from your FB or Twitter, etc.

Each one raises valid opinions, concerns and questions. It made me think about how I feel about this subject. I'm rather slow about embracing new technology in general. It took me a year to join Facebook after being invited, so I'll start there. At first it was fun searching and finding old classmates, coworkers, and other friends around the globe to stay in touch with via FB. I like the groups and staying informed. I still enjoy the sharing and communicating aspect.

However, I haven't been able to get into all the various features and other requests. For example at this time, I have 62 'other requests' sitting in the home page request box. Other than quizzes and causes, I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do with all the green patch requests, flowers, Christmas decorations, etc.

Twitter I will not, iPhone - not interested. We don't have Cable and when network TV goes digital, well, maybe we'll just continue watching the shows & movies on Hulu and other sources for free.

On the flipside, I love reading blogs and blogging, perusing websites, digital cameras, using photoshop, the online information & conveniences, and can't imagine life without email. SCI-FI can be fascinating, and the Borg (or cyborg) are intriguing to me.
From Wikipedia:
Fictional cyborgs are portrayed as a synthesis of organic and synthetic parts, and frequently pose the question of difference between human and machine as one concerned with morality, free will, and empathy. Fictional cyborgs may be represented as visibly mechanical (e.g. the Borg in the Star Trek franchise or Amber from the game Project Eden); or as almost indistinguishable from humans (e.g. the "Human" Cylons from the re-imagining of Battlestar Galactica). The 1970s television series the Six Million Dollar Man featured one of the most famous fictional cyborgs. Cyborgs in fiction often play up a human contempt for over-dependence on technology, particularly when used for war, and when used in ways that seem to threaten free will. Cyborgs are also often portrayed with physical or mental abilities far exceeding a human counterpart (military forms may have inbuilt weapons, among other things).

It feels like my generation is caught in between. I remember learning to type on a typewriter, using a Wang Word Processor in high school, vinyl to CD to MP3, walkmans to ipods, etc. My niece & nephew have always known computers, playstations, cell phones, & ipods.

It suppose it's our perogative to embrace some and exclude others. It's a huge subject and one that will surely be around for awhile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post. Yes, we could become the borg...if we are not careful.

-R. Limbaugh

P.S. What an ugly picture. Who is that schmuck?