16 September 2011

Lemon Queen , Karate, & Knit Stitch

This is the Lemon Queen and she just started to blossom yesterday. Recently I planted an assortment of different sunflower varieties that have sprouted, but this is my very first Sunflower that grew!


The other day I learned that my first stripe test in Karate was moved up a few days. I got a little nervous/excited and when I was telling my friend Maria about it at work, I swallowed my gum. I haven't done that in years! It felt kind of strange.

I have to practice a little more so I have my basics, and especially proper form down. I know my Kata's pretty well. The forward roll is still a bit of a challenge but it will happen even if it's still a little slow and sloppy. In the style I am learning, the first green stripe is like the first green leaf on a newly sprouted tree.




Last night was my first knitting lesson with Annie. She was patient with me and taught me how to 'cast on' which we practiced at least 5 times so I got the hang of it. Then we did the 'knit stitch' (also known as garter stitch) for a few rows. I recently reacquainted myself with knit & purl stitches with my mom so it was easy to get going again. Then we practiced 'binding off' to end the piece a few times. I gave George my practice rectangle piece and he wore it on his head like a yarmulke. Maybe I can knit that too?

My first project is a beanie hat with big size 13 needles and bulky yarn as shown. It's amazing what a couple of hours can do. I had a lot of fun and finally feel like I know how to to cast on & pretty much bind off. I have to knit about 11.5 inches of rows and then she'll help me finish the hat next week. Then we are going to add the purl stitch and start a scarf (with thinner size 8 needles) and softer yarn. Now I have something to work on when I watch Sunday football games with the hubbs.

1 comment:

Cecil Hirvi said...

You are the "Queen-tessential" Warrior of Aliveness!

-cecil