22 February 2013

Lake Chabot


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last weekend we took a drive to Lake Chabot and decided to walk around the lake. We started following a trail along the lake which would veer away into forest areas with inclines and declines. We passed occasional trail signs and a marker at 2.5 miles and I thought maybe it's a 3 mile hike? But it kept going and we passed more markers, the last one at 6.5 or 7.5 miles and I had no idea how long or far this would be.









 Even though we never left the trail, I had concerns (or little pangs of fear) about where we were, if we were lost, what if this is 10 or 12 miles and we have one bottle of water....it's just where my mind goes. I was aware of it as opposed to being consumed by those thoughts. I just noticed and talked about it. Physically I knew we could do this, but mentally was interesting as I hit a those little fear walls, consciously. It's crazy and fascinating where the mind will go. Yoga helps me notice this and when I start to feel anxious and uncertain, it's time to take a few deep breaths, b-r-e-a-t-h-e and be present, and keep moving forward.


Me in 'tree pose' with the trees

On an elevated part of the trail away from the lake
Three hours and nearly nine miles later.... we arrived back at the entrance and all was well. We felt a little fatigued and hungry, but all was well.

No comments: