28 January 2014

Hut Hut Hike

The hiking continues since we are experiencing mild weather this January. Taking up hiking last year has been rewarding, for example:
  • Exploring East Bay regional parks and being out in nature, and away from technology.
  • The mental challenges I face or overcome.
  • The physical challenges of endurance and using different muscles.
  • I enjoy looking forward to deli sandwiches for our lunch break.
  • Unexpected surprises like clusters of ladybugs at Redwood Regional park.

 Last weekend we hiked at Wildcat Canyon. There were some steep inclines that got our cardio going. And, we faced a herd of cows walking toward us on the trail! Cows make me nervous but there was nowhere else to go except to walk past them even if they gave me the stink eye.
   






Then on MLK Jr. Day, we did a little hike at the Redwood Regional park which is one of my faves!







This past weekend we drove to Fremont to hike at Mission Peak Regional Preserve. My first impression as I looked out to a vast dry canyon was that I didn't really want to stay. (I have to get past my negative impression judgements) Nevertheless, we started on the Hidden Valley Trail which was a dirt and gravelly road with about three miles of incline to the peak. I wanted to quit a few times but I am trying to complete anything I set out to do this year. (Inspired by this Chinese New Year's -Year of the Horse) I also found some motivation when I saw a middle-aged woman (at least my age, or older) who kept a swift pace ahead of us on the trail. Although she was better conditioned, I felt motivated to try and pick up my own pace a little.

When you think you are close to the top, you still have about a half mile to go, and you climb on rocks to the 2100 ft. peak where you are rewarded with views of Mount Hamilton to the south, the Santa Cruz Mountains to the west, Mt. Tamalpais to the north, and Mt. Diablo and the Sierra Nevada to the northeast. 
George walking on sunshine
There is a post at the top where people take their victory pictures. For me, it was definitely a fitness challenge and we felt it in our gastrocnemius,  quadriceps, and gluteus muscles.


No comments: