12 May 2010

Exercising Exercise Routines


I’m a big fan of exercise. It often improves my mood, and provides many health benefits like managing weight, keeping high blood pressure & cholesterol in check, etc. Of course there are also the physical benefits of strength, endurance, and muscle tone to reap.

Frankly, it's just something I cannot go without for very long. I've belonged to gyms on-and-off for the past 26 years but started using our designated exercise room at home since we moved six months ago. Starting with some free weights, a jump rope, and a mat, I soon added a few workout DVDs. I have experienced good results with Jillian Michael’s circuit training workout. I also like Elena Brower's yoga practice that is restorative and beneficial.

Recently George and I did a trial/guest pass at a nearby gym. It was a nice, clean facility with lots of space, cardio machines, nautilus equipment, weights, group exercise classes, etc. The common amenities.
Turns out, I feel good about my current strength and endurance and realized that I don’t need, or really want for that matter, to join a gym. It's time to do something different. It's good to mix up your fitness and try something new; challenge different muscles, meet new people.

A better addition to my home routine would be a weekly group exercise class or two (depending on cost and location). I'm thinking a yoga studio and possibly a boot camp class would provide the energy, challenge, and the social aspect that is currently missing. For the fitness enthusiasts out there, how is your routine working for you?

I recently learned of these new“Method’s” from a co-worker which could also be worth exploring:

The Bar Method integrates the fat burning format of interval training, the muscle shaping technique of isometrics, the elongating principles of dance conditioning, and the science of physical therapy to create a revolutionary new workout that quickly and safely reshapes your entire body.

The Dailey Method a unique combination of ballet barre work, core conditioning, stretching, and orthopedic exercises.


DVD workouts I like:

No comments: