05 May 2010

writing and books (my fave subjects)

This week began a writing course I'm taking w/Cynthia Morris and a nice group of interesting & talented writers. I don't write a lot on this blog usually, but I am very much committed to my writing, because I love it.

Thought I'd share a few good books I'm reading (all non-fiction):
The Not So Big Life: Making Room for What Really Matters by Sarah Susanka

Tranquilista: Mastering the Art of Enlightened Work and Mindful Play by Kimberly Wilson

Writing Away: A Creative Guide to Awakening the Journal-Writing Traveler by Lavinia Spalding

Wednesday Writers: 10 Years of Writing Women's Lives by Terri Hinte (Author), Elizabeth Fishel (Editor), California Women Writers' Workshop of Oakland (Editor)

Finding this anthology of the Wednesday Writers Workshop, which happens to be a dozen women who meet weekly to write together in Oakland (of all places) made me wonder.... why do I have an impossible time finding such a writers group that doesn't cost money? Every group I join is facilitated and is usually from 8-10 weeks and costs a few hundred bucks. I really want to find a handful of writers I could meet with at least twice a month to write and share and encourage writing. Does anyone have a suggestion? While I'm at it, I'd still like to find a book club too.

There are always more books --- this is one I just learned of coming out in June:

All Over the Map by Laura Fraser

I really love stories of women who take risks, usually including travel, or make interesting & creative changes in their lives. I also appreciate the pain and challenging circumstances that usually provoke these adventures because they tend to heal and strengthen the author, while inspiring the rest of us.

1 comment:

Michael B said...

Well done Andrea! You should definitely write more her (IMHO). Your thoughts and blogging are interesting and it made me want to know more. Great to have you as a classmate as well.

Happy writings....

Michael B